Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I am going to run a 5K

There it is. The girl with only one fibula bone will run her very first 5k in September. I never thought I would do this, EVER. Even before the surgery I thought people were crazy to do this. Walking I could handle, but running?

For the last 2 years I have been working with a trainer at my local gym just to build up strength and be more active and fit. Shame it had to take me getting amelo to wake up to the importance of getting more active. I told my trainer when I started that my goal was to run well enough that I could get away from a robber. My leg was very weak after the surgery where I could not run 5 steps let alone 5k. But now thankfully the strength in my left leg is much better. It's still not 100% nor do I think it will ever be. At least I can run 3 miles, not on a track but on a treadmill. It's a little different when you are out in the open.

Tomorrow I will be heading out to the 5k course and run it for the first time for practice. I don't expect to finish the run in any record time. I am sure it will take me 1 hour or more. But I will take my time and at least finish it. To me after all of this, that will be such a great accomplishment. I just hope I don't pass out. :)

No comments: