Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Stupid Amelo

It is hard not to look into the mirror and see the side effects of Amelo. At little over two weeks since my surgery the swelling is minimal now. Only at a side profile can you really tell I am swollen. But what no one can fail to notice is the bright red scar that goes from one side of my neck to the other. Almost looks like someone tried to strangle me with a piano wire. (I watch too much TV). Monday I will start my scar treatment with Mederma or Scarfade, per doctors orders. That said my scar really does not bother me. What does concern me is the weakness of my lower lip, specifically my right side. It does not move. Not like it use too. When I smile its very crooked and one sided. Doctor said give it time. Anytime when you cut around nerves or stretch out the area it take a few months for it to go back to normal. A similar thing happened last time when I first got the reconstruction. It did take 3 months for the lip muscles to resume the normal function. But they are no guarantees that it will come back. That is what scares me.

I know I can not dwell on matters that are out of my control. I can not feel overly sorry for myself. (OK, maybe a little). But I find myself back in the same position I was when I wrote about it on Friday, January 4, 2008 from my first operation. I would smile, but I can't.

Stupid Amelo!

No comments: