Friday, December 28, 2007

I need sleep

It's true what they say. You can not sleep at a hospital. Rest is an important part of the recovery process. I just don't know how you are suppose to sleep when every hour someone is coming to check your vitals, check my flap to make sure it's taking and nurses are coming in to draw blood or giving me shots. Ouch!

It's also hard to sleep with two drains and a tube up my nose. I will once in a while end up pulling on the drains at my neck, which does hurt. I also usually sleep on my side but its hard to do that now. I have to sleep on my back with my back raised. The pillows in the hospital don't help as they are not that conformable. I found that the best sleep I can get is when I am in a chair that reclines and have my leg propped up. I only sleep in the chair during the day but I find that and oxycodone helps. But only for a couple of hours. They took the drain off my leg a few days ago, so that helped a little.

Temperature in the room is usual fine but somehow at night I get very sensitive. I am either really hot or really cold. I do have control over the temperature in the room. But no matter what I do it does not help. And the weird part about that is neither does the oxycodone. I mean I don't have pain, its just it does not put me to sleep as I would hope at night. I sometimes sleep with a cold wet down on my forehead. I dot know why but I find that relaxes me a little.

Also I can not sleep if there is a light on. The nurses when they come in sometimes forget to close the door. So naturally all the bright hallway light comes in. This caused a problem as I have to call them back in to close the door. It only happened a few times but still.

I can not wait till I get home in my own bed. When ever that will be.

No comments: